You can automatically produce your purchase orders based on your current stock levels. The Generate Orders option produces a suggested order list. This list is based on the re-order levels you have set for your stock items in the Stock Control module.
You don't use Generate Orders to create orders from purchase requisitions.
To generate purchase orders from authorised requisitions, see Generate purchase orders from requisitions.
Purchase orders can be generated based on the following options:
Order stock when the stock level falls below the re-order level.
This allows you to maintain an minimum level for your stock items. Suggested orders are created for all stock items that have fallen below the re-order level.
To do this:
- Your stock items must have a re-order level of 1 or more and a preferred supplier set in the stock item's record.
Order stock to fulfil back-to-back and direct delivery sales orders.
This allows you to create purchase orders to supply specific customers when ordered goods arrive or to create purchase orders that your supplier will send directly to your customer.
Purchase orders are generated from sales orders that have the fulfilment methods of From Supplier Via Stock or Direct To Customer. This is regardless of whether a re-order level has been set.
To do this:
- Select Include back to back and direct delivery sales order when generating the suggested orders list. This is selected by default.
Note: Purchase orders that are generated to satisfy back to back or direct sales orders do not have project analysis entered. This is to prevent the postings for the cost of the stock being made twice (once from the sales order and once from the purchase order).
Order stock when the stock levels fall the re-order level and to fulfil any outstanding sales orders for an item.
This allows you to replenish your stock levels and order additional stock to fulfil any outstanding sales orders.
To do this:
- Your stock items must have a re-order level of more than one and a preferred supplier set in the stock item's record.
- Select Include unfulfilled sales orders when generating the suggested orders list.
Note: A stock re-order level of 0 indicates that no re-order level is set for the stock item.
You cannot generate purchase orders for:
- Items that have a re-order level of 0, (unless you are generating purchase orders from back to back or direct delivery sales orders).
- Items that do not have a preferred supplier.
- Service/labour stock items.
- Miscellaneous stock items.
- Batch numbered items set to be sold from a single batch.
- Items assembled using a bill of materials.
Generate orders process
To generate your purchase orders automatically, follow these steps:
- Purchase orders are produced for the confirmed items.
- If Units of Measure are in use, purchase orders are produced based on the stock unit.
The purchase orders are linked to sales orders that have sales order lines using the From Supplier Via Stock (back-to-back sales orders) or Direct To Customer stock fulfilment methods.
When goods are received for sales order that use the From Supplier Via Stock stock fulfilment method, the goods are automatically allocated to the appropriate sales order ready for despatch.
When goods are received for sales orders using the Direct To Customer stock fulfilment method, the goods are automatically recorded as despatched.
- The supplier information is updated to show any outstanding orders.
- The stock information is updated to show any outstanding orders.
Before you begin
- You must have chosen to Automatically generate order and return numbers on the Document Numbering tab of the POP settings.
- You must have set your stock re-order levels to one or more.
- Your stock items must have a preferred supplier.
- If do not want to generate a purchase order from sales order lines where the customer account is on hold, or where the sales order is on hold, you must select the relevant POP settings.