Find this screen
Open: Invoicing List > Enter New Invoice.
Open: Invoicing List, then select an invoice and click Amend.
Watch a video
- The customer information is entered at the top of the screen.
- Invoice lines are added on the grid.
- Choose the type of line and tab through to enter remaining information.
Stock Item - shows a list of your stock items and Invoice items (if using).Note:
- If you're not using stock this will show your Invoice items only.
- Stock items will not be displayed if they're inactive.
- Stock items will not be displayed if they're configured to be used with back to back sales orders, and have a fulfilment method set to From Supplier Via Stock or Direct To Customer.
Free text - use this to add one-off lines with a value.
Tip: If you want to use free text lines, make sure you turn this on in the Invoicing Settings.
- Charge - use this to add charges for things as carriage and insurance.
- Comment - use to add any text you want to show on an invoice.
- For quicker data entry:
- Use the Tab key to move through each field and to add a new line.
Use the shortcut keys:
Alt+S Save Alt+P Save and print Alt+A Add a line Alt+D Delete a line Alt+E Edit a line Alt+I Insert a line
- Edit a line to change any default fields that are not displayed on the grid, such as the selling unit or cost price.
- Invoice numbers are assigned when the invoice is saved.
Remove 'Stock' or 'Free Text' type lines
Only entering free text lines?- You can remove the Stock line type if you never want to add stock items or invoice items to an invoice.
Don't want to use free text lines? - You can also remove the Free text line type if you never want to enter these.
You do this in the Invoicing Settings. Just set the Order Line entry to Free text only or Standard items only (Invoice and Order Entry tab).
Note: Please be aware, this setting also applies to sales orders (SOP).
You can only make changes to an invoice if it hasn't been printed. These have a status of Draft.
- You can change any details (as long as you have the correct permissions), apart from the invoice number.
- If you want to change to a different customer, so you can keep the same invoice number, you must remove all lines from the invoice first.
- You can add and remove lines and change quantities and prices.
- If the invoice has a payment, you can't make the total invoice value less than the payment amount. You must also change the payment value.
- If you try to amend a printed invoice, you'll see the View Invoice screen.
- For printed invoices:
- If you need to change the customer order number or address, you can do this from the Reprint screen.
- For anything else, you must cancel the invoice and recreate it with a new invoice number.
You create a new invoice by copying from an existing one. Just click Copy Invoice and choose the invoice to copy from.
- You can do this even of the invoice to be copied is for a different customer.
- You can only copy from other invoices created in the Invoicing module.
- Use the Find button to search by date, customer or customer order no.
Change the date of an invoice
If the invoice hasn't been printed, just amend the invoice and change the date.
If the invoice has been printed, you'll need to cancel the invoice and recreate it with a new invoice number.
Quickly find stock items
Start typing the code of the item into the stock code column. The drop-down list is filtered as you type.
Add carriage and other charges
- Choose Charge as the Line Type.
- For an one-off charge, enter the details on the grid. You'll need to edit the line to add the nominal code.
- For regular charges, select the code. Edit the line to change the description, nominal account, VAT etc.
Add a line with a negative value
If you need to show a negative value on an invoice, you can so this by using a free text line. Add the free text line and enter a negative value as the selling price.
Note: The overall value of the invoice must still be positive.
Enter or change analysis codes
Analysis codes are additional custom fields that can be applied to the whole invoice and on an line by line basis.
Use the codes to use to identify and group your orders and invoices. For example, you might use these to group by geographical region, salesperson, or promotion.
- For the whole invoice - choose the analysis codes on the Delivery and Invoicing tab.
- For each line - edit the line and click Analysis.
If you don't want to set a code on an invoice, leave the value blank.
Note: You can only change an analysis code if Allow amendment of - Analysis codes has be selected for the header and / or line in the Invoicing Settings.
Add a payment
You can enter a payment at the same time as entering the invoice. This is useful is for cash customers and for taking deposits.
When the invoice is posted, the payment and the invoice transaction are posted to customer's account and allocated to each other.
- Select the Payments tab and enter the payment details.
- Choose a Payment Method. This includes the bank account the payment is paid into.
- You can't do this for a foreign currency invoice.
Note: You'll only see the Payment tab is this has been set in the Invoicing Settings.
See the invoice profit
The invoice profit isn't shown on the enter or amend invoices screens. Once you've saved the invoice, you can check the profit from the View screen.
Open: Invoicing List > View
Cancel an invoice
You can cancel an invoice as long as it hasn't been posted. The whole invoice is cancelled and the invoice is given a Cancelled status.
If you've made an error, you'll need to re-enter the invoice, which will have a new invoice number.
Open: Invoicing List > Cancel
View customer alerts
If alerts have been set up for this customer account, they'll be displayed as soon as you select the account.
To view the alert messages again, click the alert icon.
See Customer alerts.
Things to consider
- Depending on your license, you can use both Invoicing and SOP as required.
- Using stock? Stock is not allocated or despatched until the invoice is posted.
- Using stock? Traceable stock items can't be added to invoices, you must use sales orders for these items.
- Using stock? You can't use search categories to search for stock items.
About invoice numbers
The invoice number is assigned when the invoice is saved, and the numbers are incremented by 1. You can set the starting number in the settings. Once any invoice has been printed, from Invoicing or SOP, this can't be changed.
Invoice numbers are used by both Invoicing and sales orders, so your invoice numbers are assigned to each one in order. For example, you create invoice for an order so this has invoice number 1, and you then save an invoice using the Invoicing module, this has an invoice number of 2, and so on.
All your invoices, both from invoicing and sales orders (SOP) can be seen on the Invoicing list.
What if I cancel an invoice?
If you cancel an invoice either before or after it's printed, then that invoice number is marked as cancelled. You can see these invoices on the invoice list with a status of Cancelled.
Product or service invoices?
In Sage 200, there's no difference between product and service invoices. You can add products and services to the same invoice. They're dealt with in the same way and printed using the same layouts.
- For one-off products, use free text lines. Here you just add a description, price, quantity and nominal account.
Using stock? - Create records for your products using the Stock module. Each record holds details of the item, such as the cost price, warehouse, VAT rate, and nominal account. You can set various selling prices using the Price Book module.
- Not using stock? - For products you add regularly, create invoice item records.
- Using stock? - You can also create stock item records for your services in the same way as you create records for products. Each record holds the same details, the cost price, the VAT rate and nominal account etc. You can also set various selling prices for a service item using the Price Book module.
- Not using stock? - Use invoice items to create records for services you want to add regularly. Each record holds the unit, selling price and cost price.
- If you don't want to create records or have one-off services, use free text lines. Here you just enter a description, price, quantity and nominal account.
Using stock? - Only show products stored in a specific warehouse
Stock items are selected from the warehouse they're to be despatched from. If the same stock item is stored in more than warehouse, then it'll appear more than once in the list of stock items.
If you enter warehouse in the By default supply from box, then the list of stock items you can choose from is filtered to only show items stored in this warehouse.
If you have several warehouses and you want to make sure that your staff, pick from the right one, then you can set a default warehouse per user. When the user enters an invoice, this warehouse is set as the default, only showing the stock items stored here. You set the default warehouse on the Invoice and order permissions.
You can change this to a different warehouse or All as required.
This is useful if you have several branches in different locations and you want to be sure that local stock is picked first.
If the By default supply from field is blank or set to All, then you can see list of items shows all stock items, the warehouse, and the amount available stock in each one.
All stock items have to have a warehouse. If you don't want to use separate warehouses then you just need to set store all items at the default Home warehouse. If you only have one warehouse, then the warehouse will default to this one.
Using stock? How discounts are applied
In Sage 200 you can set a variety of discounts per customer and per stock item (if you're using stock).
On the customer account, you can set a default invoice discount and line discount.
If you're using Stock, you can set discounts per product group, per item, per invoice value and so on.
Where multiple discounts can be applied to the same line on an invoice or order the following rules are applied:
- A line discount is applied to every line on the invoice with a value.
- A manually entered discount on a line overrides other line discounts.
- An invoice discount is applied in addition to any line discounts.
- A surcharge overrides all discounts except a special price (stock items only)
- Using stock? :
- If an invoice value discount and an invoice discount is applied - the best discount is used.
- If a line, stock item and product group discount are all applicable - the best discount is applied to the line.
- A special price overrides all other levels of discount on the line.
- A mark up price will override all other discounts.
- An invoice discount is in addition to any line discounts.
Use Invoice Payments
Sage Invoice Payments is a great way for your customers to pay you online, quickly and easily.
Use Sage Invoice Payments to request and receive payments from your customers by using Stripe, PayPal, or GoCardless. When your customer pays the invoice, the transactions can be downloaded and posted in Sage 200.
Invoice Payments integrates seamlessly with Sage 200, making it easier for your customers to pay you, and easier for you to process those payments.
Select Invoice Payments to get started.
This button is not displayed if you've already set up Invoice Payments.
Note: You can only set up Invoice Payments if you have permission to access Cash Book Settings.
This feature is only available from Sage 200 Professional Summer 2018 version onwards.
Using stock? Can't find a stock item
- You can't use traceable stock items with the Invoicing module. If your stock items use batch or serial numbers, they won't appear in the drop-down list.
- Check whether warehouse has been set on the By default supply from box. This filters the list of stock items displayed. If the item isn't stored in the warehouse, it won't be shown on the list.
Can't add free text lines?
If you can't see the free text option, then you'll need to set this in the Invoicing settings.
Can't change the price or discount?
You must have the correct permissions to change the price or discounts of any stock or free text lines. You set this on the Invoice and order user permissions.
Can't change the nominal codes?
Nominal codes can only be changed if this has been set in the Invoicing Settings.
Need to enter an VAT only invoice?
This is done using the VAT Only Invoice screen.
Open: Processing > Enter VAT Invoice.
Can't choose Save and print?
You can't print an invoice if the customer's account balance has exceeded their credit limit, as the invoice is automatically put on hold.
You need to change the status on the invoice before it can be printed. If you have the correct permissions, you can override this when the invoice is entered.
Need to enter invoice for VAT only?
This is done using the VAT only invoice screen.
Open: Processing > Enter VAT only Invoice.
What happens when I
Save the invoice
- The invoice is assigned an invoice number.
- The invoice status is set to Draft.
Save and print the invoice
- The invoice is assigned an invoice number.
- The invoice status is set to Printed.
- You won't be able to amend the invoice.
- The invoice is printed using the layout set on the customer's account.